A Holistic Approach to Managing Stress
by Kelly Andrews
By now you may or may not feel like you are starting to be” in flow” with our new reality. Everyone is continuing to find their own way of dealing with continuous challenges of COVID-19 and for most of us some days are better than others. What is important is that you are taking time for yourself and being gentle in how you react to your emotions. Keeping a positive mind set and heart set is key in a healthy immune system.
During this time of chaos we are encouraging you to consider a holistic approach to healthy and mindful living which emphasizes Self-Care for the body, mind, spirit and emotions.
Here are 8 tips for keeping your Head Up and Heart Out as we move onward!
• Sleep – There is nothing better for our immune systems than a good night’s sleep of 7-8 hours. Going to bed the same time every night and waking up the same time every day will keep your sleeping pattern consistent. Create an evening routine to assist yourself in winding down at the end of the day.
• Dance, Dance, Dance – Put on your favorite tunes and invite your body to move without any effort from your mind. Play music that inspires you to feel positive emotions and activate the good neurochemicals. Pick a genre that speaks to your soul!
• Find a New Way to Do Routine Things – Our brains have a way of being on auto-pilot especially with routine tasks. You can literally create new neuropathways in your brain simply by doing something old in a new way. For example, find a new route to work every day, eat somewhere different for lunch, try taking a mental break on a different schedule, make plans on a night that you might ordinarily stay home.
• Digital Detox – We can be victims to our technology by feeling we have to stay connected every moment of every day. Take the opportunity to unplug for a few minutes each and every day, and see how you respond. Also, pay attention to what you are feeding your mind through television, social media, radio, etc.
• Look for Love in Everyone and Everything – Life is full of miracles when we take the time to pay attention. Expect to find 3 expressions of LOVE throughout your day. As you begin this practice you will notice just how quickly you find small examples of grace.
• Find the Sunshine – Going outside and inviting the sun to fill your soul with warm light and love is a refreshing way to lift your spirit. It only takes a few minutes to feel the difference. Take a few deep breaths in and allow that feeling to radiate throughout your entire being. Exhale gratitude back out and into the universe. AAHHHH.
• Humor – Laughter is medicine for the soul. Make an effort to bring a sense of humor into your life daily. Research has proven that laughter (whether real or fake) benefits our health in a positive way. Find ways to bring more FUN to your day. Look for funny videos, on line jokes, movies, or books. Spend time with those friends that constantly make you smile.
• Forgiveness – One of the most un-healthy habits one can have is the inability to let go. When we have been disappointed, hurt or betrayed in life, we tend to hold onto feelings such as anger, sadness and/or frustration. The problem is that these feelings only hurt ourselves and can create issues for our physical being when not expressed in a healthy way. Find ways to forgive yourself and others freeing your spirit up for more positive emotions!
We all have an opportunity to view the COVID-19 experience as one of negativity & suffering or as a time of transformation, creativity and renewal. How and what are you doing within yourself to create your reality?
About Kelly Andrews
With more than 25 years in the health and wellness field, Kelly has worked in a variety of settings including corporate, higher education, non-profit, medical, and fitness centers. Through her own life experience, Kelly’s personal journey allows her to practice deep empathy when working with others to find their way forward. Kelly, a native of Tennessee, is passionate about working with people to help them explore, expand and evolve into the best and healthiest versions of themselves.
Visit https://www.kellyandrewstoday.com/ to learn more about Kelly Andrews.